You really don’t have to read further than the name to be hooked. I found these cookies on one of my new favorite blogs, BrownEyedBaker, and they were fantastic. I did make some alterations; I chose to go for crushed chocolate graham crackers instead of crushed Oreos and I’m happy I did because these had a creamy and milky enough taste without the added Oreo filling. Plus, it’s healthier and, while I’m not a health-nut when it comes to dessert, if the healthier option tastes just as good (if not better), then why not go for it?
These cookies are incredibly easy and simple, but they have that little extra something that makes them interesting and special. They taste exactly like an Oreo cookie, chocolatey but also milky. In fact, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies a few days later and discovered the Oreo cheesecake cookies taste exactly like a fresh chocolate chip cookie dipped in milk.
These cookies are crispy on the outside and chewy-soft on the inside. The cream cheese really does a fantastic job of keeping these babies moist and soft even after spending a couple days out and uncovered. Plus it gives the cookies their unique and intriguing creaminess. This is one of my new favorite recipes and perfect for summer gatherings. It’s certain to impress and leave nothing but cookie crumbs on the plate.
OREO CHEESECAKE COOKIES:
Yields 1 dozen cookies (you’ll want the whole batch!)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 4 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate (chopped to chocolate-chip sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup (aprox.) crushed chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- Cream together your butter and your cream cheese in a medium until smooth and well-combined.
- Add in your sugar and vanilla, mixing until they’re well-combined.
- Add in your flour and mix on low until it’s just incorporated.
- Use a plastic or wooden spoon to stir in your chopped chocolate.
- Pour your chocolate graham cracker crumbs onto a plate and, using an ice-cream scoop to scoop up your cookie dough, roll your cookie dough banks in the crushed graham crackers until thoroughly coated. Place on the baking sheet 1-2 inches apart (they spread out a bit, but not too much).
- Bake for 10 – 13 minutes, until the edges are golden (it is a little hard to tell when these are done, but you want them still a little soft when you take them out so that they’re not too crunchy when they cool).
- Let them cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.